Thursday, December 6, 2012

Quick Update

It’s been a while since I have done any sort of update on what we are doing in homeschool. With the Christmas tree in the house we had to move Selena’s desk, so she now does school in the dining room. She hasn’t seemed to mind the change and is still eager to get to school as early as I will let her.

I am seeing a lot more maturity and self confidence these days. She is more willing to sit and do as much as I ask her to do. That is not to say that when she has had enough she isn’t afraid to tell me so, but usually by this time we are finishing up, so she will hang on until I say so.

A couple of funny things that happened this week to share with all of you. Selena had a final test in her Social Studies. She made a couple of mistakes, basically just from not paying attention to what she was reading, but it dropped her grade from 100% to 95%. She was so upset to not see me write 100% on her paper, “It’s not fair, that grade is too low!” I tried to explain that 95% was a good grade and still an A, but she wasn’t going to buy it. After numerous of my friends on Facebook wrote her a sweet note of encouragement, she finally felt better about the 95%. If anything maybe she will learn to slow down and pay a little more attention.

In her Science there was a reference as to how men use to think the world was flat. I decided it would be fun to talk about this and found a lot of information about Christopher Columbus. As I presented the material, and explained that at one time yes, indeed men thought the world was flat, Selena looked up, and told me, “I am not buying this, after all God made the world round.” That was it she was done and wasn’t going to listen to any more. Who can argue with God? We will revisit this discussion another time.

Selena is becoming more confident in her writing and is often found writing on the white board, letters, words and her numbers. I know her confidence growing in this area has made school easier and more enjoyable for both of us.

We are still struggling with the sore throats and tonsils. We take her back to the ENT on Friday. I am so tired of having a sick child, and believe me you can see it on her face that she is not feeling well, that and the fact that she lays around most of the day and her appetite isn’t as healthy as it should be. This time though Papa is going with us, we feel strongly it is time to do something different here. I will let you know what we decide.

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. She sounds exactly like my Katie when she was that age...in fact, that perfectionism lasted throughout her schooling. My boys (Sam and James)have it too, except not as strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that Selena still enjoys school. I hope she feels better soon and doesn't have to have tonsils out right before Christmas. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - funny how our ancestors were just as convinced that God created the world flat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I hadn't thought about how if she gets them out in 2 weeks it will be right before Christmas.

    My boys have the same problem of hurrying too fast and then being upset when they don't get a good grade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Just stopping by from the TOS review crew. No linky tools so can't follow you unfortunately.

    I understand your feelings about tonsils and sick children. It's been a struggle in our household as well.

    have a lovely day.

    annette from A Net In Time

    http://anetintimeschooling.weebly.com/a-net-in-time-blog.html

    ReplyDelete