Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Homeschool Mother’s Journal #9

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week…

Besides having a sick child, my husband’s van not starting, and watching our Pastor’s dog, I enjoyed getting out and taking long walks in the warm sunshine. Autumn is sure in the air though, and I realize our summer was truly short lived, in fact I don’t feel we had much of a summer, more like a pleasant long Spring. I enjoyed some great time with family, friends and my husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary. Even with the few things that seemed a bit disappointing I truly feel blessed with all that this week offered. It truly was a good week. 

In our homeschool this week…

Selena has decided that this year her favorite subject is math. Up to now she has tried to avoid math, focusing more on reading, science, and geography. Though I do see all the time I spent with her early on playing games involving math, that she did learn and retained a lot from the previous year. She is now adding and subtracting from story problems with much ease.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

This is something I had to learn myself, even when we wonder if at times our children just are not listening to us as we teach, watch yourself as they are little sponges taking in more then you think. Once they truly are ready for the material, it will just flow.

I am inspired by…

Truly I have been so inspired by my granddaughter. I love the way the words, “I am homeschooled.” just flows so smoothly and with such a sense of pride when asked by others if she is in school. The fact that she loves being homeschooled, and having me as her teacher is the best inspiration this grandmother could receive.

My favorite thing this week was…

Getting to visit with so many of my Aunts, Uncles, and cousins. It was so nice that we were all able to get together. Would you believe I have cousins that I hadn’t seen in over 20 years.

Things I’m working on…

Helping to plan our church back to school Block Party. It is a work in progress. I know once it is all put together everyone will have a lot of fun.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

660017982_2359946377_0 660017872_2359945979_0

Myself and my cousins. Front and Back views. Leave it to the Taylor’s to come up with this.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I love that your church is having a Back to School party.

    Happy Anniversary (you didn't say exactly when it was)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat that you could spend some time with your family. I love your positive attitude even about disappointing happenings. Glad to hear Selena enjoys math!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! May God bless you both with many more years of love, health and happiness together!

    Glad to hear that Selena is doing well and loves her math! :-)

    Many blessings,
    Lisa
    http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you for doing homeschooling. i bet it's very inspiring to revisit certain material and watch how your young ones interact with it!

    ReplyDelete