Monday, April 25, 2011

Counting by Twos

We went back to our bottle caps for a fun game of counting by twos. I took all the odd numbers and Selena had all the even numbers, we scrambled them up. I would put the first number in place and she would have to find the number that came next to build her number line.

100_4752 Yes, we went clear up to ten, but at that point I had her place the 0 before the two and using a blue bottle cap for the tens spot she began to count again, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, then moved on to 20 and so forth. She moved the tens spot or the blue bottle cap down her number line as she counted.

100_4754 She absolutely surprised me, as she caught on so quickly and actually began to count over 100 with this method, counting 102, 104, 106 and so on. Since we haven’t worked much on counting over 100 I am going to make some more numbered caps so we can have more fun with this and count over 100 using all the numbers, as well as having the hundred spot represented by a red cap. Look for more on this activity to come.

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Like this idea to have the tens a different color bottle cap. I'm going to see if I have enough caps to try this with Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Selena, for catching on and getting it :) Don't you just love when that happens?!
    I also like the idea of the tens being a different color cap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome that Selena catches up to this so quickly. We didn't do a lot of work in counting by 2 - Anna is simply not interested at the moment. Once she is more receptive, I'll try your method :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a fun way to learn all of that. How do you get so many bottle caps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fun! I started saving milk caps and now have a LOT. Tell friends and neighbors to save them and you'll be overrun! ;)

    Thanks for linking to Math Monday!

    ReplyDelete