Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Geography/History Pennsylvania

geographyhistory

We decided to get back on track with out Geography, the study of the States this week. We had a great time sharing our vacation with you and there is still more we would like to share at a later time.

Selena picked out the postcard from Tots and Me. This took us for a virtual visit to Pennsylvania. Today as we were doing our unit study the mail man delivered another postcard from our friends the Traveling Fenns who went through Pennsylvania on their way back to Virginia.

Penn

Selena had fun looking for Pennsylvania on our new wall map. She then easily located it on her blank map to color it in. She chose blue since the State flag is blue.

penn2 We found a lot of interesting facts about Pennsylvania. I was intrigued by the fact that their State dog is the Great Dane. We also learned that James Buchanan the 15th President of the United States was born in Pennsylvania.

100_3435 Selena looking for the page in her scrapbook.

100_3436 Ok, there she found Pennsylvania.

What are you studying for Geography or History with your children? We would sure love to see. Leave your link below.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Did you check out PA's baseball team - to connect with her math from this week?

    I actually have a geography post this week! Hope to link in later this afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love to hear her reasoning on why she colors in different states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always impressed with how careful Selena is in coloring her map. She definitely knows a lot of states by now. I think you should mention that Hershey chocolate comes from PA too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's really good at details, like how she chooses the color to use and her coloring itself. We haven't studied PA yet. I keep thinking we'll make a trip there to visit family but I'm not sure we'll make it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to chime in, I used to live there :). Also the name means 'Penn's Woods.'

    Oh and I am supposed to send you a card aren't I?..hold on.

    Ok sent, was it to you or someone else?

    Sigh, organization is not my strong suit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on a roll with my geography posts (from this past school year)! LOL! I was soooo behind and am finally getting a chance to get them done. We'll be doing US geography this year, including Pennsylvania, so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know my kids learned all about the US States when they were in public school but they seem to have learned it fairly young and no longer remember much about them. I think we will be working a lot on them this year. Thank you for commenting on my S. Dakota post. It's a beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, that was the last one! I'm all caught up on last year's geography posts now!

    ReplyDelete