Saturday, July 10, 2010

What My Child is Reading

fivelittlekittens

Five Little Kittens by Nancy Jewel, illustrations by Elizabeth Sayles, was a book we hear of through WMCR, I am sorry I just don’t remember who reviewed it before. It is a very cute story. It was a big hit with Selena, and she loves to sit and read it by herself during quiet time.

Pigs Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud, by Lynn Plourde, was one of those books with mixed reviews here in the house. I thought it was a cute little story with quite a sequence of word play as a family gets stuck due to pigs, chickens, sheep and bulls in the road. Selena wasn’t that sure about the book at first, but then when we got to the end of the book, and Grandma was the only one who make the animals move out of the way, she roared with laughter. Now she wants it read quite a bit. A good example of don’t be too quick to judge a book by its cover!

afarmerboy A Farmer Boy Birthday another My First Little House Books, was one that Selena picked up since it was the only one on the shelf. It has been so much fun watching as she insists the only person who can read this book to her is Papa. I don’t know if that is because this book is about a little boy or what, but I don’t get to read it to her at all. This is her special Papa book!

goingwest Going West another My First Little House Books was a big hit here as well. I picked this book up as we prepare to go on vacation. Selena has been to Spokane once but she wasn’t even a year old, so she doesn’t remember it. I thought it would be fun to compare how Laura and her family traveled by wagon and how we will travel by car. Though we won’t be going West until we are on our way home! Selena did come off with something funny after we read this book, and discussed our travel plans to go see Uncle Jim, she asked, “Is that where we stayed in that bedroom, and I slept in a crib? I remember waking up in the middle of the night in a crib in that bedroom.” I don’t think she is remembering my brother’s house but I do think this is a memory of when we were staying with friends when I was going through my cancer treatments. I did think how ironic it was that she mentioned that since yes she did sleep in her portable crib at my brother’s house.

To discover more great books to read with your little ones visit Natalie at Mouse Grows Mouse Learns.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Great choices and thanks for joining WMCIR. The first book looks vaguely familiar, but I don't think we read it. We also had experiences of warming up to the book after a couple of reads as you had with book #2 on your list. Finally, we also enjoyed "Going West" even though Anna was extremely confused about family dynamics - she is not used to her father just coming up with major decisions without proper consensus on my part :)

    ReplyDelete