Saturday, June 5, 2010

What My Child is Reading

Natalie at Mouse Grows Mouse Learns asked me to host the WMCR this week while she is having fun on her vacation with her husband. We know Anna is just having so much fun with her grandparents. Make sure and head over to Natalie’s and check out her fantastic give-a-ways that she has going on in her absence!

grandmasandgrandpas

Vanessa from Silly Eagle Books told me about this book, she read a review of it at No Time For Flashcards and thought about us. Thank you Vanessa, this book really came at a great time. There has been so much talk with all the Doctors about Selena’s parents as we discuss the kidney issue, that Selena was beginning to shut off in a way. Her doctor asked her the other day about her mom and Selena just sat there quiet as a mouse. We had read this book the day before, so suddenly Selena looked up at her doctor and announced, “I might not have a Mom and Dad, but I have a Grandma and Grandpa!” At that point the doctor knew that Selena didn’t want to talk about her mom. I feel this book gave Selena the words that maybe she has been searching for, to express that her life is ok. Sometimes It’s Grandmas and Grandpas Not Mommies and Daddies by Gayle Byrne, illustrations by Mary Haverfield deals with the issue of Grandparents raising their Grandchild. I felt the book was wrote in a very sensitive manner and never goes into any particular reason why mommy and daddy is not present, but focuses on the fact that grandparents can provide the same things as parents. I didn’t know if Selena really enjoyed the story at first, but after her response at the doctor’s office I knew this book really did make sense to her. I know that Selena has struggled with the fact that some of her friends have a mommy and daddy and that her mommy and daddy never come to her home, but I know that Selena understands and is grateful to have Papa and I. This book I feel brought it full circle for not only her but for us as well. If you know of anyone raising their grandchildren I would highly recommend this book not only for them, but to read to your own children to explain some of their questions they may not really know how to ask, or you might struggle in answering.

myheart My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall, was by far Selena’s favorite book. It is a simple read, and each animal within the book is made from hearts. Selena enjoyed reading the book as much as she enjoyed looking for all the heart shapes within the animals. I recommend this book very highly, and especially if you have a young child still learning their shapes, this book would be perfect to teach the heart shape. The other thing I really liked about this book is it puts a lot of emphasis on emotions, so if you are teaching about emotions, this again would be a great book for that as well. Or if your just looking for a simple read, that is fun this book offers that too. There isn’t a deep story line, but between the wonderfully thought out illustrations and simple description makes for a fun read.

fancyNancy Selena literally snatched this book right out of the librarian’s hands. The librarian had Fancy Nancy Splendiferous Christmas by Jane O’Connor, illustrations by Robin Preiss Glasser sat aside for story time, but not for long when Selena caught glimpse of it. This is one of the newest Fancy Nancy books. If your children like Fancy Nancy this book will not be a disappointment. Selena didn’t mind at all that this book was talking about Christmas, she really loves the new words that she learns out of these books and of course she always gets a kick out of Fancy Nancy’s character.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like that book was a perfect find for you.

    It must be so difficult at times for Selena to understand her situation. Thankfully she has adoring Grandparents to help her through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C has started drawing hearts, and trying to cut them out all the time now - I'll have to look for that middle book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think any kid minds about reading extra Christmas books.
    I'm so glad that book was good for you, I saw it right about the same time she commented on it, and was thinking the same thing. I've got it in my huge pile of library books, but haven't gotten it out yet.
    I'm struggling with writing a post this week. I don't have any new books or anything to write about, but I also want to write about other books. But at the same time I don't want to just put a post up for the sake of putting one up. We'll see what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, I LOVE the sound of the heart book! Thank you for hosting!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Debbie, that first book really sounds like a winner. How great that it gave Selena something to say when she is at a loss - what a wonderful sense of being "OK" that must have given her!
    The other books look so cute too! I love hearing about Fancy Nancy, although we've never read any of the books. They appeal to me, but not so much to a little boy I guess. Thanks for hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Fancy Nancy - right now we are enjoying the Fancy Nancy tea parties book. We also love My Heart is Like a Zoo! I hope to do a stArt project with that book someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart is like a zoo looks really neat. going to look for it at the library now:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for hosting WMCIR! The first book does sound perfect for you and Selena. It must be difficult for her to feel that she is different than other kids she knows. Anna suddenly really got into Fancy Nancy - I will have to write about it in my next WMCIR. And we did read the second book on your list, but she was completely indifferent to it - she is a lot more into stories nowadays than into illustrations.

    ReplyDelete