Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What's Up With This?

I was recently reading an email I received that had some quotes from Teachers, in our Public School System. One teacher had gone around the class and was asking her students what they wanted to be when they grew up. Being 3rd graders she was getting the famous answers of fireman, Pro Sports, Actor, Doctor etc. She easily praised these children for having such wonderful ambitions. Suddenly a girl raised her hand and said in a appologetic voice that she just wanted to be a MOM! The teacher stated this took her by surprise and she didn't know how to respond to this little girl, so she basically by passed her and went on to the next student that wanted to be something "real" as she put it.

I didn't know that being a MOM is not a JOB, nor a REAL JOB for that fact. I do believe I have worked harder at being a MOM then any other job I have ever had. Being a MOM means your on the clock 24/7. Maybe it doesn't seem like the most glamourous job to some women, but for this MOM/GRANDMA it is the BEST job there is.

Our educators need to learn how to think outside the box. I don't mean to sound like I am putting all teachers down, as I know there are some that could have seen the empowerment in the answer that this little girl gave. I mean come on if she already loves kids to the point and admires her own mom that this is her goal, to become a mom, then who knows maybe she will grow up to become a teacher...or maybe not she might grow up to be a SUPER GREAT MOM!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment