Sunday, February 17, 2013

Bountiful Baskets Week 2

If I were to be asked what is my favorite part about Bountiful Baskets, of course I could emphasize the amount of money we are saving on all the fresh fruits and vegetables and fruit. While this would be a true statement I would have to say that my absolute favorite thing about Bountiful Baskets is the fact that it has changed the way we eat, less meat and more real good fresh fruits and vegetables. With that being said, I have loved how enthusiastic Selena’s been over trying new foods. She has never been a fruit or vegetable eater, but with our first basket she discovered she likes, spinach, zucchini, and spaghetti squash. She bravely tried a little bit of everything in our basket and I know over time she will grow to enjoy these foods.

This week’s basket was full of more goodies. I had upgraded to include 5 loaves of whole grain bread.

DSCF1517

  • 2 bunches of spinach
  • 1 head of lettuce
  • 1 broccoli
  • 3 green peppers
  • 2 leeks
  • 5 1/2 pounds of potatoes
  • 1 container of cherry tomatoes
  • 4 apples
  • 6 oranges
  • 7 bananas
  • 1 pineapple
  • not shown is the 5 loaves of whole grain bread

OK off the top of my head the leaks will probably be processed and froze for future use. I will make stuffed peppers with the green peppers, yummy green salads with the lettuce, spinach, broccoli and tomatoes. I have enough I could throw together another stir fry. We will use the potatoes throughout the course of meal planning.

The fruit, is always placed on the counter for everyone to enjoy, though I will probably make some fresh squeezed orange juice. Selena is just fascinated in the pineapple, so I am looking forward to some exploration with that, she has already asked how you eat that prickly fruit.

The bread is frozen in my freezer, until we need a new loaf of bread for toast and sandwiches.

What was Selena’s most favorite from last weeks basket? Besides all the bananas, she absolutely loved the spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce on it. This came as quite a surprise to me, and in fact when she discovered that I had made a small pot of regular spaghetti just in case she didn’t like it she informed me, “Grandma you didn’t have to make that, the spaghetti squash was better then any old spaghetti.” She is asking for more already this morning and I think she was a little disappointed that we did not get another spaghetti squash.

I truly can not express enough, if you enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables but dread the price you pay in the grocery store, then you need to check out Bountiful Baskets. They are growing fast nationwide, so if you don’t find one in your area the first time you take a peek, then keep checking back.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I honestly don't know what leaks are. I will have to look that up! The rest looks yummy! Makes me look forward to Spring so I can have fresh salad from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you really use what you get! This basket looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete