Sunday, February 10, 2013

Bountiful Basket Week 1

I was introduced to Bountiful Baskets by Debra from Footprints in the Butter. Each as she posted the bounties of her baskets I would race over to Bountiful Baskets just to see if we had one near us. I began to think that there never be one that would open up here near us. To my surprise last week I discovered indeed we do have a location that is only 10 miles from home. Of course you already know I just had to get a basket. I encourage you to go check out their site and see if there is one near you, believe me you will not be disappointed.

Saturday morning arrived and while I was not looking forward to getting up so early, I was excited to make the 10 minute drive and once and for all find out just how much one does get in these baskets. None of us were disappointed.

First let me tell you I spent 15.00 for this basket, there was an extra fee for the first time to purchase the basket that they put the food in.

DSCF1487

What did we get?

One dozen bananas

6 Pears

10 Oranges

1 Spaghetti Squash

1 Head of cabbage

1 Sweet potato

1 Yam

1 Container of cherry tomatoes

2 Bundles of spinach

3 Zucchini

1 Head of Cauliflower

So what are my plans for all of these goodies? We will definitely have Spinach stir fry on rice.

I will make two batches of cabbage rolls, one to be froze for a future dinner.

Zucchini and Spinach bread.

We will eat the Sweet Potato and Yam as sides for a meal.

Munch on the Cauliflower with a vegetable dip and probably cook some off for a side dish.

I’ve seen this recipe for Spaghetti using a Spaghetti Squash before, so I think we will be trying this.

For us this is truly a grand blessing, with the cost of produce in our grocery store, and lack of selection fresh fruit and vegetables are not as common in our home. Believe me there is no way I could have purchased this much produce for 15.00. You bet we will be taking advantage of this every week.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. It works very well if you really make a point of using everything you receive. We had a similar service a couple of years ago, but what we found out was that some of the produce (a lot, to be honest) was wasted, because we never knew what to do with it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I need one of those, my kids are always eating!! This would help out so much. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete