Thursday, July 19, 2012

Our Week

Our weather patterns can change so fast here, one day sunny the next cloudy and rainy it is hard to plan much of anything at all. Friday night Selena got to experience her first true thunder and lightning. We had a very rare thunder cell settle in over the top of Western Washington that actually moved in from the East and stalled out over the top of us. We had lightning and thunder from 8:30 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. At first it was pretty scary to Selena and we quickly made her up a bed on the living room floor.

Saturday the weather was cloudy and cool, so Selena and I played quite a few card games, her favorites right now are Go Fish and War. I am impressed with her skills in both of these games. I get such a kick out of the fact that in Go Fish, Selena memorizes her cards so easily that while she holds them in a pile in her hand, she knows exactly what cards she has and exactly where they lay in her pile. Throughout our game of War, Selena was able to with such ease recognize who had the greater number, unlike just a while ago she struggled with this concept.

I did introduce her to the signs for greater than, less than and equal to, (><=) and wrote out several number sets. Selena easily and with little effort was able to place the correct sign within the number sets. It is amazing how her math skills has exploded and developed over the course of this last year.

I had a doctors appointment for my neck the other day. Selena entertained herself by reading all the Highlight magazines in the office. She read most all the stories with little assistance from myself. It wasn’t until another person in the waiting room asked her age and commented on how well she reads that Selena decided she was done showing off her abilities. I do however think it is pretty neat that our bedtime routine has changed from my reading her bedtime stories to her reading them to me. Sometimes we do shared reading where I read a page and Selena will read anywhere from 1 to 3 pages. She always tells me, “Mama, I love our shared reading.”

We hope the weather men are correct with the forecast of a sunny weekend. We so want to be outside playing. Until then we will have many more games to play and a lot more reading to keep us entertained here in the house.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I hope your neck is better. Anna loves card games and board games too, but she is a sore loser. We are working on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's such a sweetie. I hope your neck is better soon too.

    I'm trying to conceive with all of your rain not getting thunderstorms. I guess that would be another difference between your area and mine, all of our rainstorms are thunderstorms.

    ReplyDelete