Monday, April 18, 2011

Science Sunday/ Water Tension

Science Sunday

In between our busy schedule last week, I wanted to have some science fun with Selena. I realized last week, how much I do not like busy schedules of having to be someplace for practice, two days, and then back for a farewell party on another day, then once again to help put the church back together after the new carpet was in. I don’t think it was so much that I disliked the fact that we were going to these things but the fact that they picked 5:00 to schedule all the events. Call me old fashion, but that is our dinner hour so last week I just felt like our family was very disorganized and off key. Then add in the fact that Papa was getting ready for his business trip. Let’s just say I am looking forward to calm of this week.

Lately during bath time Selena has began to discover how the water feels on the palm of her hand when she slaps it. I thought it would be fun to learn about water tension. This came at a perfect time as I am also reviewing a curriculum for TOS for my second round in the interview process, and this was one of the experiments in that curriculum.

Materials:

  1. A dish of water
  2. Paper clips (we used bread clips)
  3. Dish soap

100_4686 Selena had so much fun putting the bread clips in and watching them float. I don’t know who has been playing with the settings on my camera, but none of these pictures turned out real well….well I do know who played with the settings,but I will let HER off the hook this time. We then added a few drops of dish soap, and Selena was so surprised to see all the bread clips move across the surface of the water to the sides of the bowl so quickly.

100_4688 Then what was to come next really thrilled her, the bread clips sank. Why did this happen? The dish soap broke the tension on the water, without the water tension the clips now had nothing to float upon.

100_4687 For more Science Fun head on over to Adventures in Mommydum.

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. This is a great lesson! I hope you are accepted to TOS program and that you will have a more relaxed week this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really curious what you got to review. I can't wait to see your reviews

    I love the bread clip experiment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun experiment! We'll have to do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a fun, easy experiment to do with the kids. I'm going to have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun for Selena!

    I completely hear you about the busy schedule, especially at dinner time! I hate to be too busy and have disruptions like that...it throws me all off.

    ReplyDelete