Thursday, December 2, 2010

stART/The Tree That Came To Stay

This morning I cut out a green tree from construction paper, and I used the whole punch to make a lot of different colored circles. I glued the tree on a piece of white construction paper. While that dried we ate lunch and I read The Tree That Came To Stay by Anna Quindlen.

thetree This is a cute story about a family who every year goes out to cut a fresh Christmas tree. Each child has their own view of what type of tree they should bring home. This year though is a little different as it is their baby brother’s first time looking for the perfect tree. As they make their way through the snow the baby brother trips and falls into a tree. As Dad retrieves him from his fall they decide while this tree isn’t quite what the other two imagined, it is the perfect tree. Once home the decorations go up, the presents go under the tree. Then the dreaded day comes when the tree has to be removed from the house. Mom saves the day by giving them a basket to take some of the needles from the tree, then places it on the table.

Selena then began to decorate her Christmas tree.

100_3966 100_3968 At first she wanted to put each decoration on one at a time, until her little fingers began to get sticky from the glue. So she came up with the idea to just sprinkle them all over the tree and press them down where they landed.

100_3970 100_3971 Her finished tree. After it dried it was hung on the wall next to her snowman.

I am linking this to stART, a story and art at A Mommy’s Adventures.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. That is a great tree craft!!! We haven't read that book yet. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K I have never read this book before, but I have to get my hands on it. I love Christmas books that involve the whole family thing. Selena did a great job on her Christmas tree craft! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute. I haven't seen that one before, it looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Selena's tree looks awesome! I like the thought she put into decorating it. We haven't read this book either, it sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using the hole punches for the ornaments. We did this for Easter Eggs and never thought to do it for Christmas Trees. The book looks great too, I will have to check the library for it!

    Thank you for linking up to stART :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the colored dots!

    I think the kids would like that book, since they got to cut a fresh tree, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The books sounds great! I love the idea of leaving some of the tree behind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute craft! It turned out great. Sounds like a good book too.

    ReplyDelete