Friday, October 23, 2009

What We Are Reading

 

Reading

We had a great library time this week. Selena was more interested in the Librarian and watching what she was doing rather then helping me pick out book. I guess you could say she was learning, “What does a Librarian do?” I was able to pick out some fun and great books.

Littlebear Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik was always one of my favorite book series. I enjoyed reading it myself, to my kids, and now to Selena. The stories are so cute about a little bear who go on many different adventures, from discovering how cold it is in the snow, flying to the moon, and having a birthday.

Idbe

I’d Be Your Princess by Kathryn O’Brien, illustrated by Michael Garland, is a very cute story about a little girl who imagines herself as a princess. Her father plays along with her imagination but uses the opportunity to bring a Godly quality to her princess character. Selena really enjoyed the story, as well as both Michael and I did as we read it to her. The illustrations really held Selena’s attention, and the story was so cute that she got very involved in the story line.

HesgotI was so excited to find He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands by Kadir Nelson in the library. One of the first things I discovered when we moved here is that the population here is chiefly made up of Caucasian and Asian. There just isn’t a lot of diversity here. Any chance I get to find a book that I can really instill in Selena that people are people no matter the color of their skin or no matter where they come from I am just thrilled. This book does just that especially since it is using such a familiar song that she sings in church and here in the home. 

ThemoonThe Moon Might Be Milk by  Lisa Shulman illustrations by Will Hillenbrand, is a very cute story about a little girl who wants to know what the moon is made of. She goes on an adventure with her cat who just happens to think the moon is made of milk, to see if she can discover what the moon is made of. She comes across many different animals who all have their own opinions of what the moon is made of. As it turns out everything that the animals think the moon is made of ends up being an actual recipe for Gran’s Sugar Cookie Moons, which is found in the back of the book. I plan on making the cookie moons this week as it sounds like a delicious recipe. This sounds like a perfect stART project to me, look for more to come!

Come on over to Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns to see what others have been reading this week. While you are there take the time to share with us what you have been reading as well.

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I used to love reading Little Bear when I was a little girl. Thanks for letting me reminesce for a second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'd Be Your Princess looks just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Little Bear books! I've heard of the Princess book, sounds like a really good one! And I think we'll look for the Moon Might be Milk! Thanks for your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than Little Bear I've never heard of any of these. Thank you so much for sharing them. I love finding new book titles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely like to read Moon Might be Milk and Little Bear. Putting them on my list now. Anna really enjoyed Moonbear series by Frank Asch. In one of the books Moonbear attempts to fly to the Moon to see what it's made of - I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, lots of good books here! We love the Little Bear books, too. I am intrigued by He's Got the Whole World in His Hands--my daughter loves to sing that song, a book that goes with the song would be wonderful--it looks beautifully illustrated.

    Nine O'Clock Lullaby by Marilyn Singer is a book that tells the story of people all around the world-I like how it shows a diversity of people and places. Another good international book is Moja Means One: Swahili Counting Book by Muriel Feelings. We enjoy reading both of these.

    ReplyDelete