Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Building Upon A Rock

We had some extra time yesterday so I decided to introduce Selena to building our tower on different type of foundations. I first asked her what type of foundation she thought would be best to build her house on? She responded on rock. Now I didn't catch on at first and it wasn't until we were half way through our experiment before I realized what rock she was talking about:

Mathew 7: 24

Therefore everyone who hears these words
of mine and puts them into practice
is like a wise man who built his house on the rock

She taught me to listen more carefully and ask more questions before beginning our lesson. I will say though I was one proud Mama to know she had related God's Word to her daily science. 



We represented sand with dried beans, and layered them in the bottom of a wooden tray. We then began to build our tower. 
The first observation that Selena made was that the tower was leaning and didn't seem very stable. As we proceeded through the game it became more unstable. 
Selena decided to push more of the sand around the base of the tower in an attempt to make it more stable. But no matter how hard she tried, she just could not make it anymore stable. 
Instead of allowing the tower to fall over we carefully took it apart so that Selena could see how the sand had been shifting underneath. She then concluded that Sand was not the best place to build a house. 

We had a quick discussion on what most foundations are made of, concrete, hard rock. Using our legos we quickly made a foundation and began the process of building our tower on top of our foundation. 

The first observation Selena made was that now the tower appeared very straight and sturdy. We did continue the game and she discovered we could actually take the tower taller then before. 

After this we looked up the Bible verse and discussed what God meant by building our house on a rock. I know I learned a very valuable lesson while working with a Gifted child make sure you ask enough questions to know where exactly they are getting their hypothesis. It was a blessing to my ears to hear her use God's Word to explain the best foundation for our home, as well as for our lives.  
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love the illustration you did for this story, I'm going to have to remember it for when we study the Gospels.

    ReplyDelete