Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Week 2

On Monday morning we had appointments in town so we held off on doing any school until the afternoon. I decided since it was sunny, a little chilly but sunny we would take school outside. Monday’s emphasis was on reading, so I grabbed all our supplies and lead Selena out to find a nice spot on the grass where we could sit and study.

100_5135

Selena read two full pages out of her little phonics book, we discussed how she needs to slow the pace down just a bit and pay attention to the words on the page. The second time around of reading she did just that and did a much better job of reading.

I thought this would be a good time to look at some writing skills. Selena has rediscovered her chalk board. We practiced a few basics like drawing circles, lines, squares and triangles. Then I wrote the first word CAT. We discussed how C is actually a half circle and how each letter used one or more form of the shapes we had just practiced. Here are her attempts.

100_5130

100_5131

Then we did the same thing for the word HAT.

100_5132

The lower case h really stumps her so we agreed to use the uppercase h.

100_5133

At this point we talked about letter placement in a word. Selena quickly corrected the placement of her t in hat.

100_5134

I truly had more in my lesson plans, but I guess you know the swing and sunshine truly was a distraction. Before we could get too involved in playing though, I said it was time to come in and get our household chores done. As we cleared the table of all of Selena’s art work I found this picture.

Selena

Selena explained to me that this is a picture of her with an owy on her forehead and that she was upset because she fell. The first thing I noticed was the neck, she is moving from plain stick people.

As I am typing this out though, Selena is sharing with Papa and practicing everything we did today and more. I guess you could say she is doing a little bit of homework.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I'm still chewing over the whole idea of being chilly. I don't think I know what that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great beginning for the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed that you are practicing lowercase. Anna is still writing in uppercase only if she even deigns to write at all. I am really curious to see how the school will deal with her reluctance to write. I loved the first picture of Selena. Good luck with week 2!

    ReplyDelete